The Engineering profession ensures that the right equipment is ready when and where it’s needed. To do this we make sure that you receive world class training and ongoing development so that you’re expertly-skilled and able to maintain and repair the high-tech equipment required to support operations in the air. You’ll make sure that the aircraft, and its supporting equipment, are ready at a moment’s notice.
The Engineering profession is essential for the success of each mission. This is about the upkeep of all aircraft, airfield support equipment, electronics and weaponry required to support operations in the air.
As an Engineer you’ll ensure the RAF are able to complete missions safely, and at a moment's notice, with equipment ready to use whenever and wherever it’s needed.
Life in the RAF is more than just a job, it’s a vocation and a lifestyle, it’s who you are. We take care of you when you’re off the clock too. We offer a highly competitive benefits package and there are sporting opportunities and facilities available to everyone. Balance is key. So whilst travelling the world, making new friends and expanding your horizons all come included, we understand the importance of staying connected to friends and family back home too.
With benefits like subsidised food, travel, accommodation and free gym facilities, at the end of the month you’ll have more money in your pocket saved on these essentials.
To apply for an Engineer Officer role you need to:
- Be aged between 17 years and 6 months and 47
- Have a Bachelors or Masters degree in a subject relevant to the role you are applying for (i.e. Aeronautical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electronic Engineering etc)
- Have a GCSE at grade C/4 or above; or SNE equivalent grade 5 or above in English Language
- Be a UK, UK/Dual Nationality or Republic of Ireland citizen or have been a Commonwealth citizen since birth
To apply for an Engineer Technician role you need to:
- Be aged between 15 years and 9 months and 47
- Have GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above; or SNE equivalent grade 5 or above in English Language, Mathematics and should have an approved science/technology-based subject*
- Be a UK, UK/Dual Nationality or Republic of Ireland citizen or have been a Commonwealth citizen since birth**
* GCSE science is not required for Survival Equipment Specialist
** Aircraft Technician (Avionics) will only accept applicants with UK, UK/Dual citizenship.
- Yes, every person in the RAF is required to maintain a level of fitness in order to do their role well. If you’re a Cyberspace Communication Specialist you might be required to be deployed to set up initial communications in an area and carry equipment. Similarly, if you’re an Aircraft Technician you may be required in your role to prep a Typhoon about to scramble to defend UK airspace from a hostile aircraft.
- Fitness is a key part of RAF life – with all the clubs and sports you can get involved with on a wide variety of levels, from occasional fun to Olympic competition.
- As an Engineer Officer we aim to have all applications successfully completed within six months and for an Engineer Technician we aim to have all applications successfully completed within three months. This is subject to the availability of your specific training courses but be assured that we will aim to work around your specific needs.
- We have Engineering bases all over the UK and abroad. Where you will be exactly is dependent on your role and what each base currently requires. Speak with your local AFCO for more information.