The RAF Regiment is a highly-specialised force with responsibility for providing Force Protection to enable and support air operations. Specialists in ground combat operations, the RAF Regiment contributes to the defence of RAF airfields in the UK and overseas, Forward Air Controlling, ceremonial duties and support to Special Forces operations.
As a RAF Regiment Gunner, you will become a specialist in dismounted close combat tactics, fieldcraft and how air operations are conducted. You will learn to operate a wide variety of weapon systems including individual weapons through to machine guns and anti-tank systems as well as an impressive array of state-of-the-art surveillance systems designed to help you locate the enemy and stop them from interfering with air operations. Additionally, there are opportunities to learn how to operate and employ a range of armoured vehicles required to enable rapid mobility to protect RAF assets.
Within your first few years, you will almost certainly be deployed on an overseas operations or exercises to locations including Canada, Cyprus, Middle East and Africa.
As a Gunner, you could specialise in some of the RAF Regiment’s other roles:
- Become a paratrooper serving on 2 Squadron RAF Regiment or other parachute-capable units.
- Serve on the Queen’s Colour Squadron, carrying out ceremonial duties including guarding Buckingham Palace as well as your normal operational role.
- Become a sniper – an expert in camouflage and marksmanship.
- Train as a member of a Forward Air Control team, calling in strike aircraft and helicopters in support of ground troops.
- Work in support of Special Forces operations.
- Work as part of a small team to recover downed aircrew or other key personnel.